Retropop Lifestyle – Simple steps that seniors can follow to stay safe from Coronavirus
Simple steps that seniors can follow to stay safe from Coronavirus
By Dr.Kanchan Sanyal, Advisor Health and Wellness, Columbia Pacific Communities.
While the coronavirus outbreak poses health risks for everyone, officials have made clear that seniors are the most vulnerable to coronavirus.The highest rate of fatalities is among older people, particularly those with underlying medical conditions. In such distressing times, it is important to take measures to #StaySafeSeniors.
Here are some steps to reduce the risk of contracting the virus:
- Clean hands, safe you- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol based sanitizer time to time to keep your hands and frequently used surface clean.
- To go out, or not to go out – It is suggested to cancel non-essential doctor visit and to opt for scheduling a video session for appointments that can’t be missed.Going out in public during this time will be unsafe.
- Video call visitors –Seniors should not encourage visitors. Instead, should opt for video calls to stay in touch with their friends and families. It is advisable to designate someone close to you in case of emergency.
- Say ‘NO’ to gatherings – In the current situation, seniors should avoid attending weddings, parties or functions. Staying home is the best way to keep yourself safe.
- Stay in, stay safe – Older people should try to stay at home as much as possible and avoid using public transport and should cancel all travel plans. Any outside exposure might result in catching the virus.
- Stay occupied, stay calm – In these stressful times, it is important to keep yourself occupied as it helps in keeping calm. Engage in activities that can be performed at home. Reading, writing, painting and playing board games are a good way to keep you engaged.
Please ignore fake news and messages being circulated on social media.