What should be included in health screening for seniors? Useful insights by one of the leading independent senior living facilities in India
August 15, 2023
Regular health screenings for seniors play an important role in detecting potential health issues, identifying risk factors, and initiating early interventions. As individuals age, their healthcare needs change, making these screenings even more significant. As one of the leading independent senior living facilities in India, we share a list of tests that should be included in health screenings for seniors:
1. Blood pressure measurement: As individuals age, they become more vulnerable to hypertension (high blood pressure), a condition that raises the likelihood of heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular complications. Regular monitoring of blood pressure enables healthcare professionals to identify and effectively manage hypertension at an early stage, significantly reducing the risk of severe health complications.
2. Diabetes screening: Seniors are susceptible to developing diabetes due to age-related factors, sedentary lifestyles, and genetic predisposition. Regular screening plays an important role in timely detection, allowing for early intervention and effective management of the condition. Neglected or uncontrolled diabetes in seniors can lead to severe consequences, including an elevated risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney problems, nerve damage, and other complications.
3. Liver function test: With age, the liver’s function may decline, making seniors more susceptible to liver diseases such as fatty liver disease, hepatitis, or liver cancer. Regular liver function tests help detect any abnormalities or changes in liver enzymes, indicating potential liver damage or dysfunction. Apart from this, seniors often have multiple comorbidities and may be taking medications that can affect liver function. Certain medications can cause liver toxicity or interact with the liver’s metabolic processes. Monitoring liver function allows healthcare professionals to assess the liver’s ability to metabolise medications and adjust dosages if necessary.
4. Kidney function test: A kidney function test reveals irregularities in kidney functions, including higher levels of creatinine or reduced Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR). Seniors who have health conditions such as heart problems, high blood pressure, or diabetes are more likely to have kidney issues. Regular monitoring helps doctors act quickly to provide the necessary care.
5. Lipid panel: Lipid panel tests reveal the presence of excess triglycerides and bad cholesterol in the body. These tests are particularly important for seniors who are taking medication for cholesterol and heart conditions. By analysing the results of the lipid panel test, medical professionals can assess the effectiveness of the current drug and dosage. If necessary, they can make changes or adjust the medication dose to ensure optimal treatment outcomes for seniors.
6. Mammogram: Breast cancer is a common and potentially life-threatening disease for older women. Regular mammograms help in the early detection of breast cancer by identifying any abnormal changes or lesions in the breast tissue, even before they can be felt during a physical examination.
7. Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test: For seniors, regular PSA test is essential for early detection of prostate cancer. These tests measure the levels of PSA in the blood. Elevated PSA levels can signal the presence of prostate cancer or other prostate-related issues that may require additional evaluation. PSA testing also enables healthcare professionals to track changes in PSA levels over time, evaluate the advancement of existing conditions, and determine the most suitable course of action.
Leading retirement communities in India are dedicated to promoting the overall well-being of seniors, and a key aspect of their comprehensive care approach is the provision of preventive health screenings. Senior living communities understand the critical role that early detection plays in maintaining the health and vitality of seniors. By offering convenient access to various preventive screenings, retirement communities help in early identification of potential health issues.
Looking for independent senior living communities in India?
Explore our retirement communities in India. Our independent senior living facilities are designed to create a fulfilling and engaging lifestyle for seniors while prioritising their overall health. From providing access to preventive healthcare services and wellness programmes to fostering social connections and recreational activities, our retirement communities play a vital role in promoting a high quality of life. To know more, call us at +91 8884555554.