Positive ageing: How to deal with resentment and feel happy?
April 23, 2022
Categories : Positive Ageing
“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.” — Mark Twain, author.
It is common to have negative feelings toward people who hurt you. However, carrying the feeling of resentment is like an overstuffed luggage that can take a toll on seniors’ health. According to a study, anger can be more harmful to a senior’s health than sadness. Anger may increase inflammation, which is associated with chronic illnesses. Though anger and resentment are natural emotional reactions, when these emotions prolong for days and weeks, it is time to deal with them in a healthy manner. As one of the leading retirement homes in India, we share with you a few useful tips to deal with resentment and embrace the positives of ageing:
1. Acknowledge the feeling: Any progress can only be made when the problem is identified. When you are dealing with negative emotions, give them a name. Here are a few signs to watch out for:
- Recurring negative feelings
- Thinking about the event that made you angry
- Feelings of regret
- Why am I feeling this way?
- When did these feelings start?
- Is there a particular incident that hurt you?
2. Find the underlying cause: What exactly made you feel this way and why? Sometimes the cause of your resentment could be very obvious such as a family member hurting your feelings, or you are struggling to have a healthy relationship with your loved ones. Other times it is a little harder to zero in on the things that are really bothering you. Whenever you are overwhelmed with negative emotions, answer the following questions:
Answering these questions will help you understand your emotions better.
3. Write down your thoughts and feelings: Writing is a great way to deal with negative emotions and organise your thoughts. It has been found that writing about emotions promotes coping via emotional processing. Not only does writing help you get to the root cause of your resentment, but it may also help you look at things from a different perspective. Instead of worrying about putting your thoughts in any order, jot down what you feel.
4. Pick up a hobby or activity that you like: While it is important to deal with the negative emotions you are experiencing, it is also important to let go of them. There are many ways that can trigger emotional release. Exercising, doing yoga, pursuing art and craft, learning a musical instrument, playing a sport, and doing volunteer work are some of the ways to keep yourself engaged in a productive manner and embrace positive ageing.
Looking for senior living homes that promote positive ageing?
Our senior living homes are designed for seniors who wish to age positively. The amenities and services offered promote the overall well-being of seniors. There are a myriad opportunities for seniors to stay physically active, pursue hobbies, and make new friends. Call us at +91 8884555554, to know more about our retirement homes.
Hill stations near Bangalore that seniors can consider visiting. List curated by one of the best retirement homes in Bangalore
September 25, 2023
Financial considerations for NRIs: making informed choices for retirement homes
September 22, 2023
FAQs on retirement home amenities
September 21, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 6 films for seniors that will lift their mood: list by one of the leading retirement homes in Kanchipuram
- Common ageist stereotypes that seniors face: useful insights by one of the leading independent retirement communities
- Common Causes for insomnia in seniors: useful insights by one of the best senior citizen homes in Chennai
- Embracing positive ageing? Here are some books on personal growth that you must read
- Exercises that promote positive ageing