Suffering from insomnia? Check these tips to sleep better at night
April 9, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
As people age, they tend to sleep less. Also, they tend to wake up in the middle of the night. This not only causes seniors to feel lethargic during the day, it also increases their stress levels. According to a study, not getting adequate sleep can lead to elevated levels of cortisol in the daytime. As one of the leading senior living communities, we share with you a few useful tips to sleep better at night:
- Create a sleep routine: A bedtime routine is a set of activities you can perform every night 30 to 60 minutes before you go to bed. You can perform relaxing activities such as taking a warm bath, reading a book, journaling, or listening to soothing music before bedtime. By performing the same activities in the same order every night, the brain comes to see these activities as a precursor to sleep. This can help you sleep more easily. Also, it is important to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
- Minimise exposure to light: For better quality sleep, avoid or minimise the amount of light exposure during sleep. Continuous exposure to light can disrupt the circadian rhythm and make it difficult for you to sleep.
- Make sure the room is cool: If you have been struggling to sleep during summer months, maybe the temperature is to blame. Sleep is highly regulated by temperature. Hot temperatures make it harder for the body to cool itself. Use air conditioners and fans to keep the room cool. Draw curtains in the daytime to keep rooms cooler during summers.
- Give electronics a break: Many seniors hit the bed with their phones watching their favourite shows or scrolling through social media feeds. Many assume that this will help them sleep but it does the exact opposite. According to a study, the blue light emitted by electronic devices trick the brain into thinking it is daytime, suppressing melatonin production. This can adversely affect the body’s sleep pattern. For better quality sleep, seniors should avoid electronic devices at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine: Intake of alcohol and caffeine can cause seniors to wake up multiple times, reducing their chances of getting deep REM sleep. It has been found that consumption of alcohol and caffeine within 4 hours of bedtime is associated with increased sleep fragmentation.
Looking for premium community living for seniors in India?
As a leading senior living operator, our retirement homes prioritise overall well-being of our residents. At our retirement homes, our residents enjoy modern amenities and senior-friendly services. From hobby clubs and fitness centres to regular health check-ups, our services and amenities are tailored to enhance and support the way seniors want to enjoy their lives. To know more about our services, call us at +91 8884555554.
Relavent tags : Leading Senior living operator | Premium community living
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
Useful insights on soothing music for seniors
May 26, 2023
Why is Puducherry one of the best retirement destinations in India?
May 25, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore