5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
June 12, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
As one of the leading operators of retirement homes in India, we share with you some useful insights on antioxidants:
- Antioxidants fight off radical damage: Every day your body’s cells face threats from viruses and infections. These free radicals damage the cells and contribute to the ageing process. They also play a part in diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Antioxidants are chemicals that help stop or limit the damage caused by free radicals. The body uses antioxidants to balance free radicals. This keeps them from causing damage to other cells. In simple words, antioxidants help to keep infections such as cold, flu, and even serious diseases at bay.
- Antioxidants repair damaged immune cells: The immune system defends us against sickness and disease, but it can’t do it alone. When a virus or bacteria enters our body, the immune cells start to defend the body. But these cells cannot do much without antioxidants. Antioxidants don’t just neutralise free radicals by giving up some of their own electrons but also repair damaged immune cells. If the immune cells do not have enough antioxidants, they won’t be able to recover.
- Not all antioxidants are equal: Any molecule that protects your cells against oxidation is an antioxidant. However, there are about 8,000 different types of antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenols and they operate in different ways. Some antioxidants excel at fighting certain types of free radicals. Therefore, it is important to have a variety of foods and vegetables so that you get different types of antioxidants. For instance, fruits rich in Vitamin C cannot substitute the body’s need for Vitamin E.
- The body generates its own antioxidants: To defend itself against free radicals and oxidative damage, the human body generates its own antioxidants. Plants and animals and other forms of life, all generate antioxidants.
- Not all antioxidants come from fruits and vegetables: Antioxidants are found naturally in fruits and vegetables, especially dark and bright coloured vegetables. But not all antioxidants come from fruits and vegetables. Even meat, dairy products, and eggs contain some antioxidants. However, eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables is the ideal way to get antioxidants.
Relavent tags : retirement homes in India
How Can Reading Self Help Books Can Change a Senior’s Mindset? Useful Insights by a Leading Retirement Community
February 27, 2024
The Importance of Breakfast: Starting The Day Right for Seniors Aiming to Fully Enjoy Retirement living
February 26, 2024
Daily Gratitude: Simple Things Seniors Can be Thankful For
February 22, 2024
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore