The Importance of Foot Care for Seniors : Insights Curated by One of the Leading Senior Citizen Retirement Homes in Bangalore
October 31, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Foot-related problems can limit a senior’s mobility and independence. Reduced mobility can cause poor gait, with balance issues and affect a senior’s mental health. Leading a physically inactive life is also associated with weight gain in seniors. As one of the leading senior citizen retirement homes in Bangalore, we have curated a list of common foot problems among seniors and can be done to prevent them:
1. Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis among seniors. It mainly affects weight-bearing joints such as knees, hips, and feet. Osteoarthritis happens due to wear and tear of the joints. Though it cannot be fully prevented, daily stress on the joints can be lessened by:
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Being physically active
- Controlling blood sugar levels
- Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels
- Maintaining healthy weight to avoid increased stress on the feet
- Quitting cigarettes and other tobacco products as they can slow the healing process
- Wearing fitted shoes
- Maintaining foot hygiene
- Avoiding food items that increase the level of uric acid: Red meat, shellfish, sweetened beverages, alcohol especially beer increase the levels of uric acid in the body. High uric acid content in the blood can cause inflammation and a gout attack.
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Obesity leads to excessive production of uric acid.
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Maintaining good posture
- Exercising carefully to avoid joint injuries
2. Diabetic foot ulcer: People suffering from diabetes are at a higher risk of developing foot ulcers. Poor blood circulation, high blood sugar levels, and nerve damage can cause foot ulcers. If foot ulcers are left unchecked and untreated for a long period, they can lead to serious health complications. Ways to prevent diabetic foot ulcers include:
3. Gout: Gout is a common form of arthritis that can affect seniors. It causes sudden and severe pain along with swelling, redness, and tenderness in one or more joints. It commonly affects the big toe. The risk for gout can be reduced by:
4. Bone spurs: Bone spurs are bony growths that usually develop near joints. People with osteoarthritis (OA) are much more likely to get bone spurs than those who do not suffer from this health condition. The risk of bony spurs can be reduced by:
Maintaining proper foot health is important for seniors to stay physically and socially active. As a senior citizen home in Bangalore, we support our residents in maintaining a physically active lifestyle. From fully -equipped gyms and well-maintained open spaces to yoga classes, our senior citizen retirement homes have all the facilities that seniors need to stay physically active. If you want to know more about our retirement homes in Bengaluru, call us at +91 8884555554.
How Can Crossword Puzzles Help Seniors?
November 30, 2021
Promoting Mental Health and Well-Being in Later Life: Useful Insights by One of the Best Retirement Homes in Bangalore
November 29, 2021
Tips for Seniors to Stay Active During Winters
November 28, 2021