Top 4 vitamins for healthy ageing: useful insights curated by one of the leading senior homes in Coimbatore
April 1, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
As people age, their nutritional needs change. It is important for seniors to ensure that they eat a wide variety of foods so that they get all the important vitamins naturally through diet. Though people of all ages need vitamins, they are especially important for seniors – as vitamin deficiencies can affect bone density, immunity, and metabolism.
As one of the leading senior homes in Coimbatore, we share with you 4 important vitamins for healthy ageing and sources to get them:
1. Vitamin A: It is important for building strong and healthy bones. According to a study, sufficient vitamin A intake can significantly lower the risk of fractures amongst seniors. Vitamin A deficiency can also adversely affect night vision. Good sources of Vitamin A are:
- Sweet potatoes
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, limes, and lemons
2. Vitamin B 12: Vitamin B12 deficiency is common amongst seniors. Inadequate intake of Vitamin B12 can lead to symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, depression, pale or yellow skin, cognitive impairment, and mouth ulcers. Adequate intake of vitamin B12 can boost energy and improve memory. It has been found that high dietary intake of folate, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 may help prevent heart disease by lowering the body’s levels of homocysteine. Some of the food sources rich in Vitamin B12 are:
3. Vitamin C: It has been found that vitamin C boosts immunity by creating a protective barrier function against pathogens. Vitamin C deficiency leads to weakened immunity and higher susceptibility to infections. Some of the food sources rich in Vitamin C are:
4. Vitamin K: Vitamin K is a group of vitamins that the body needs for preventing blood clotting and healing wounds. It also reduces the risk of coronary heart disease due to its ability to control blood flow and protect blood vessels. According to a study, people who eat a diet rich in vitamin K have a lower risk of atherosclerosis-related cardiovascular disease. Some of the food sources of vitamin K are:
At our senior retirement homes in Coimbatore, meals and snacks served are as per the nutritional needs of seniors. Food is prepared by experienced chefs using fresh ingredients. To know more about the services we offer, call us at +91 8884555554.
Senior’s guide to dental care: useful insights by premium retirement homes for NRIs
September 29, 2022
How to change your mindset about growing older?
September 28, 2022
New to working out? Here are some insights curated by one of the leading senior living communities for NRIs
September 27, 2022