What Seniors Should Know about Preserving Muscle Mass?
June 7, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Signs that you are losing muscle mass
- Feeling physically weaker over time
- Difficulty in lifting objects
- Walking slowly
- Losing weight without trying
- The link between a sedentary lifestyle and loss of muscle mass: Although ageing is the most common cause of sarcopenia, there are factors such as a sedentary lifestyle that can trigger the condition. Bed rest or immobilisation due to an injury or illness presents a difficult challenge to many seniors as they lead to rapid loss of muscle. Even two or three weeks of decreased physical activity is enough to decrease muscle mass among seniors.
- Regain lost mass with exercise: Exercise is key for the prevention and treatment of muscle decline. Exercising, especially resistance training, can slow muscle shrinkage. With the right kind of resistance training exercises, senior adults can build muscle and increase strength. Certified trainers who have experience working with senior adults can help seniors with the transition.
- Eat more protein: Seniors who are deficient in calories, protein or certain vitamins and minerals are at a higher risk of muscle loss. As protein is the most important building block of muscles, increasing protein intake can be beneficial. Senior adults need to consume more protein than the average recommended intake. Nuts, lentils, dairy products, beans, fish, and poultry are all good sources of protein.
FAQs on recreational facilities in senior living communities
December 4, 2023
Beach destinations near Bangalore: Useful list for seniors living in retirement homes in Bangalore
December 3, 2023
How luxury retirement homes in India are helping seniors use their time effectively?
December 2, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore