Common Health Mistakes Made by Seniors: Curated by One of the Leading Retirement Homes in India
October 21, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
There is no secret to ageing well except leading a healthy lifestyle. Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, keeping stress under control, and getting regular health screenings are all important for your health. However, many seniors often commit health mistakes that prevent them from ageing well. As one of the leading retirement homes in India, we share some common health mistakes to help you cope with the changes that accompany ageing:
1. Not being proactive about your health: Many seniors visit a doctor only when they experience a health problem. By scheduling regular health screenings, seniors can benefit from early intervention. At our retirement homes in India, vital parameters of our residents are periodically monitored along with regular health screenings for early detection and treatment of ailments.
2. Driving even when it is not safe: Being able to move around in your vehicle is indeed a sign of independence. But as you age, your vision, reflexes and hearing change. These changes can make it harder for you to drive safely. Though there is no particular age when people should stop driving, here are some warning signs to watch out for:
- Frequent accidents, even if they cause minor dents and scrapes
- Struggling to check blind spots or rearview for lane changes
- Driving seems physically and mentally exhausting
- Not being able to tolerate any distractions
- Misjudging gaps in traffic or misreading traffic signals
- Driving at night seems difficult
3. Not being receptive towards certain signs of ageing
With old age comes problems such as loss of hearing, dental problems, poor eyesight or change in gait. However, refusing to wear a hearing aid, eyeglasses or dentures, and not using a walking aid are all signs of denial. Not accepting ageing and the accompanying changes can worsen your existing health problems.
4. Not discussing health issues with your doctor
There are many health issues that you may think are trivial, but they may require a doctor’s attention. Whether you are suffering from urinary incontinence, constipation, or pain in the back, tell your doctor – even if you feel uncomfortable talking about it.
5. Not fully understanding doctor’s instructions
Often seniors have a hard time understanding medical information provided by the doctor. If you don’t understand something the doctor said, ask the doctor to repeat the information. Asking questions is an important part of your healthcare routine – as it helps you get the right information you need to take care of yourself. Also, repeat the information – so that your doctor can confirm whether you got it right.
Looking for retirement homes in India ? Explore our senior living communities
To know more about our retirement homes and retirement home facilities , call us at +91 8884555554.
Relavent tags : Retirement home facilities | retirement homes in India
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore