Fatigue in seniors and when to see a doctor?
February 26, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
It is natural for seniors to feel tired now and then. However, if they have been feeling tired for weeks, they may be suffering from fatigue. Fatigue is a kind of deep exhaustion that adversely affects a person’s ability to perform daily life functions. Understanding fatigue, its symptoms and causes can help seniors take steps to address the issue. As one of the leading retirement communities in Bangalore, we share with you information on fatigue and when seniors should see a doctor:
1. Fatigue is more than just feeling tired: Fatigue is profound exhaustion that interferes with daily activities. There are different types of fatigue such as:
- Transient fatigue: This kind of fatigue lasts over a few days. Transient fatigue is temporary as it is often brought upon by stressful situations such as moving to a new place, preparing for an event or relationship issues.
- Cumulative fatigue: Chronic conditions and ongoing circumstances cause this type of fatigue.
- Circadian fatigue: This type often results from disruption in the circadian rhythm which is also known as the body’s biological clock. When seniors do not get adequate amount of sleep, they tend to feel tired and experience a dip in alertness.
- Lack of motivation
- Sore muscles
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Poor concentration
- Heart diseases
2. Signs of fatigue: Fatigue can cause a wide range of symptoms. When seniors have an existing illness, diagnosis of fatigue can be difficult. Here are some of the symptoms of fatigue:
3. Ailments that can cause fatigue: There are many health conditions that may cause fatigue in seniors. Here are a few of the common conditions that cause fatigue in seniors:
4. When to see a doctor: Seniors should consult a medical professional if they notice signs of extreme exhaustion or disorientation for over two weeks. A medical professional can help understand what is causing fatigue and what can be done to address the problem.
5. Treatment for fatigue: If the fatigue is related to a health condition, treatment for the condition may improve energy levels. The doctor may also recommend lifestyle changes if that is contributing to fatigue.
Looking for retirement homes in Whitefield, Bangalore?
Explore The Virtuoso, Budigere Cross, Bangalore, India’s first independent senior living community designed to international standards. The community is ideal for seniors seeking serenity amidst city life. We offer an array of unmatched senior-friendly amenities such as a swimming pool, spa, rooftop barbeque area, multi-purpose hall, and a business centre. To know more about our senior living community in Bangalore, book a virtual tour. You can also call us at +91 8884555554.
What is healthy selfishness and how can seniors cultivate it? Useful insights by one of the best-gated community villas in Coimbatore
January 26, 2023
How seniors can ring in the New Year with healthy dishes: recipes curated by premium retirement homes in Bangalore
January 25, 2023
How seniors can keep their spirits up when holidays end: useful insights by one of the best retirement homes in Bangalore
January 24, 2023