Healthy meal planning to lower cholesterol: useful tips for seniors by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
March 30, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
A lot has been written about good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. High levels of bad cholesterol can increase your risk of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. A good way to keep your bad cholesterol levels in check is through a well-balanced diet. As one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore, we share with you a few tips on healthy meal planning that can help lower cholesterol.
- Eat a fibre-rich diet: You can lower the bad cholesterol levels by adding fibre, specifically soluble fibre, to your daily meals. Oats, barley, quinoa, apple, banana, strawberries, dried raisins, dried apricots, prunes, legumes, and whole grains are all good sources of soluble fibre. They slow down the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream.
- Limit portions: An effective way of portion control is to eat slowly and mindfully. Use smaller plates. Avoid eating directly from the serving dish. Before having a meal, it is a good idea to drink a glass of water. Maintaining a food journal can also help you keep a track of your food intake.
- Use healthier substitutes while cooking: Herbs and spices are nutritional powerhouses packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Instead of adding extra salt to make your food delicious, add herbs and spices such as oregano, pepper, basil, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and parsley. You can use unrefined butter or unrefined nut oils for cooking. Whenever possible, try to bake the food instead of frying.
- Avoid artificial trans fats: Avoid fried and salted fried snacks such as french fries and fried chicken as they are high in saturated fat and salt. When shopping for groceries, read the nutrition labels. Buy low fat versions of dairy products and other food items. Also, note the number of servings per container.
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore
Looking for senior living communities in Bangalore that ensure a healthy and happy retirement life?
Explore our retirement communities in Bangalore that will help seniors enjoy a fulfilling life as they age. From rooftop bistro and swimming pool to fitness centre and spa – there will be several opportunities for seniors to stay physically and socially active. To know more about our senior living communities in Bangalore, call us at +91 8884555554 or book a virtual tour.
How can seniors boost their confidence? Useful insights by one of the leading retirement homes in India
December 1, 2023
Interesting and vibrant destinations for seniors who love travelling
November 29, 2023
Useful insights on entrepreneurship for retired defence personnel
November 28, 2023