How to Protect Your Hearing as You Age?
November 5, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Hearing loss and hearing damage can impact almost every aspect of a senior’s life. One of the major causes of hearing loss is ageing and unfortunately, it cannot be prevented. However, noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented. As one of the leading senior living communities in India, we share with you a few useful insights on protecting your hearing as you age:
1. Avoid exposure to loud noises: The most important way to prevent noise-induced hearing loss is to avoid loud noises. Continuous exposure to loud noises can damage the cochlea, the inner ear. Listening to loud music regularly or hearing a one-time loud noise has the potential to damage the cochlea.
Note: Noises below 75 decibels (dB) are unlikely to damage the cochlea. When you are watching TV or listening to a device, keep them at a normal volume. The thumb rule should be to turn the device down if you cannot hear the other person in the room.
2. Protect your ears: During loud events and activities, wear proper ear protection such as:
- Noise-cancelling headphones: These headphones are made with insulated ear cushions that cancel out all types of noises.
- Earmuffs: Earmuffs can drown out the loud noise. They are made of insulated foam cups that lower noise levels for you.
- Earplugs: Earplugs mitigate the sound that reaches the cochlea. When you are buying earplugs, always check the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). The higher the NRR number, the more noise will be reduced. Choose earplugs according to your specific requirements. For instance, if there is repair work in your house, you need an ear plug with a higher NRR. An ear plug with a lower NRR is ideal for reading in a crowded but not a very noisy place.
- Difficulty in hearing conversations
- Ringing in the ears
- A sudden change in hearing
- Pain in the ear
3. Get annual ear tests: It is recommended that all individuals over 50 years of age should visit hearing clinics for annual hearing tests. However, you may need an additional hearing test in case you are experiencing:
Senior living in India: it enhances your well-being and keeps you socially active
Moving into our senior living communities is a great option if you want to stay independent and at the same time, live in a caring, vibrant, and a welcoming environment. We believe in a life beyond rocking chairs and strict routines. Our residents have access to a variety of social activities and services that help them enjoy their golden years to the fullest.
We take a proactive approach when it comes to our residents’ health. We have partnered with reputed hospitals to ensure round-the-clock care. Our retirement homes have emergency care with 24/7 ambulance on standby, doctor-on-call, and emergency protocols in place. Regular preventive health screenings are held, and all vital parameters of our residents are monitored periodically.
To know more about our senior living communities in India and the facilities available with us, call us at +91 8884555554.
Relavent tags : senior living in India
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore