Senior Wellness Trends Curated by One of the Leading Retirement Homes in Chennai
December 7, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Many seniors are adopting a holistic lifestyle that involves more than physical health. It is aimed at nourishing the mind, body, and soul. As one of the leading retirement homes in Chennai, we have curated some senior health and wellness trends that we think you may benefit from:
1. Leverage the power of technology: The popularity of smart wearable technologies is increasing in seniors. They are using these technologies to keep a tab on their physical activity, calorie intake, and monitor their sleep patterns. It has been found that these wearable devices encourage users to be more active by sending motivational notifications and helping them compare statistics with their peers. Some wearable devices are specially designed for seniors that help them monitor important health markers such as heart rate, heart rhythm, and oxygen levels. There are many apps that use intelligent fall detection and automatic alerts for emergency assistance. These apps use sensors to monitor the movements of the user. By detecting the abrupt changes in body movements, these apps identify falls and alert emergency services.
2. Focus on gut health: Seniors are focusing on diet plans that are gut-friendly and meet their nutritional needs. Numerous studies show a connection between gut health and overall wellness. There are over 1,000 types of bacteria in a human gut microbiome and each type plays a different and important role in the body. Gut microbiomes are extremely important for digestive health, sugar control, and heart health.
3. Alternate wellness measures: Ayurveda and other ancient texts provide guidance on leading a holistic lifestyle. The ayurvedic way of life includes making healthy changes in all aspects of one’s life – from dietary and behavioural to psychological. Seniors are adopting ayurvedic principles in their day-to-day activities to restore the balance between body, mind, and emotions.
4. Lifelong learning: Just as the body needs physical exercise, the brain too needs mental workouts. Picking up a new skill or learning something new is not just good for brain health but also good for emotional health. Pursuing new knowledge slows down cognitive decline and at the same time boosts self-confidence.
5. Managing stress: Though stress is an integral part of life, seniors should make a conscious effort to reduce stress that improves their overall health. It has been found that elevated levels of stress can adversely affect one’s health as it can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. By simplifying their lifestyle, many seniors are focusing on things they enjoy doing rather than doing things that just fill their day.
As one of the leading senior citizen homes in Chennai, we focus on holistic wellness. From hobby classes and fitness workshops to health screenings – our services and facilities are designed to ensure that our residents meet their wellness goals. Call us at +91 8884555554 to know more about our retirement homes in Chennai.