Signs that Stress is Making You Sick
June 11, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Stress is much more than just a feeling. It not only affects your thoughts but when left unchecked it can contribute to many health problems. We share with you some signs that your body is telling you that stress is making you sick:
- Too much weight gain or loss: Stress triggers the release of cortisol, which changes the way you metabolise fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Stress can also cause you to either overeat or undereat which can lead to significant changes in your weight. Ensure that you are eating well-balanced meals at the right times. Avoid eating junk food. Include a lot of fibre in your diet so you don’t binge on unhealthy foods.
- Skin rashes: When you are experiencing emotional stress, there are a number of hormonal or chemical changes that occur in response to it. This can lead to hives. Those suffering from existing skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema may experience severe symptoms. Though hives clear up in a few days, they can be quite uncomfortable. Seeking medical treatment for hives can help ease the irritation.
- Headaches: When you are stressed, your muscles tend to tense up. This can cause a headache. Along with a headache, you may find it difficult to sleep and feel low on energy. There are many over-the-counter medicines that can relieve headaches. However, after consulting your doctor, you can also try dabbing essential oils on your temples. If you are struggling with sleep, essential oils can help soothe feelings of anxiety and act as a natural sleep aid.
- Indigestion: Too much stress can wreak havoc on your gut and digestion. Stress can not only cause you to lose appetite, but it may also slow down digestion. This causes gas and bloating and may even lead to stomach pain. Whenever you are going through a stressful situation, it is important to eat well and keep yourself hydrated. Reducing stress can lower inflammation in the gut while eating well can ensure that your digestive system is back on track.
- Persistent cold: Stress suppresses the effectiveness of the immune system, which makes it harder to fight off infections. According to a study, those dealing with stress are twice as likely to get sick than those who are not stressed out.
If you have the above symptoms, take steps to manage your stress. Explore stress management strategies, such as exercising, practising relaxation techniques, and spending time with family and friends. At our retirement homes in Bangalore, there are daily yoga sessions. Residents can play indoor games in the clubhouse or work out at the fully equipped gym. As one of the leading retirement communities in Bangalore, we ensure that our residents enjoy their retirement years while we take care of their comfort and security.
Relavent tags : retirement communities in Bangalore | retirement homes in Bangalore
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore