Signs that Stress is Making You Sick
June 11, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
- Too much weight gain or loss: Stress triggers the release of cortisol, which changes the way you metabolise fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Stress can also cause you to either overeat or undereat which can lead to significant changes in your weight. Ensure that you are eating well-balanced meals at the right times. Avoid eating junk food. Include a lot of fibre in your diet so you don’t binge on unhealthy foods.
- Skin rashes: When you are experiencing emotional stress, there are a number of hormonal or chemical changes that occur in response to it. This can lead to hives. Those suffering from existing skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema may experience severe symptoms. Though hives clear up in a few days, they can be quite uncomfortable. Seeking medical treatment for hives can help ease the irritation.
- Headaches: When you are stressed, your muscles tend to tense up. This can cause a headache. Along with a headache, you may find it difficult to sleep and feel low on energy. There are many over-the-counter medicines that can relieve headaches. However, after consulting your doctor, you can also try dabbing essential oils on your temples. If you are struggling with sleep, essential oils can help soothe feelings of anxiety and act as a natural sleep aid.
- Indigestion: Too much stress can wreak havoc on your gut and digestion. Stress can not only cause you to lose appetite, but it may also slow down digestion. This causes gas and bloating and may even lead to stomach pain. Whenever you are going through a stressful situation, it is important to eat well and keep yourself hydrated. Reducing stress can lower inflammation in the gut while eating well can ensure that your digestive system is back on track.
- Persistent cold: Stress suppresses the effectiveness of the immune system, which makes it harder to fight off infections. According to a study, those dealing with stress are twice as likely to get sick than those who are not stressed out.
What is healthy selfishness and how can seniors cultivate it? Useful insights by one of the best-gated community villas in Coimbatore
January 26, 2023
How seniors can ring in the New Year with healthy dishes: recipes curated by premium retirement homes in Bangalore
January 25, 2023
How seniors can keep their spirits up when holidays end: useful insights by one of the best retirement homes in Bangalore
January 24, 2023