Skin Care Tips for Seniors
July 13, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
- Use a mild cleanser: Many typical chemical-laden cleansers are harsh on the skin, causing skin irritation and dryness. Use a gentle cleanser that does not contain harmful chemicals.
- Moisturise your skin: Dry skin is common in senior adults. While there may be several reasons for this — including certain medical conditions, it is always a good idea to keep your skin moisturised using a fragrance-free moisturiser. Keeping your skin well-hydrated helps to prevent cracking and itchiness.
- Avoid the sun during peak hours: It is a good idea to step out in the sun to get your dose of Vitamin D. However, avoid the sun during the time when sun rays are the strongest. When you step out, use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Apply it 15 to 30 minutes before going out and reapply every two hours. When going out in the sun, wear a hat that shields your face.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is not just bad for the lungs, it damages the skin in numerous ways. Smoking adversely affects the working of blood vessels which reduces blood flow and depletes the skin of nutrients and oxygen.
- Go easy on long baths: While hot baths can be relaxing, exposure to hot water for prolonged periods of time can make your skin dry. Instead, use lukewarm water and keep bath time short.
- Keep yourself hydrated and eat a fibre-rich diet : When your body is dehydrated, your skin also starts getting dry. And the chances of developing cracks on the skin increase. It is important to drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day. Also, make sure that your diet consists of fibre-rich foods. Fruits and vegetables rich in fibre and antioxidants help protect the skin from sun damage.
What is healthy selfishness and how can seniors cultivate it? Useful insights by one of the best-gated community villas in Coimbatore
January 26, 2023
How seniors can ring in the New Year with healthy dishes: recipes curated by premium retirement homes in Bangalore
January 25, 2023
How seniors can keep their spirits up when holidays end: useful insights by one of the best retirement homes in Bangalore
January 24, 2023