Skin Care Tips for Seniors
July 13, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Though skin care is important from an early age, it becomes even more important later in life. As you age, your skin starts getting thin and fragile. Though ageing is inevitable, you can take steps to take better care of your skin. Here are some skin tips for seniors curated by one of the leading retirement home facilities:
- Use a mild cleanser: Many typical chemical-laden cleansers are harsh on the skin, causing skin irritation and dryness. Use a gentle cleanser that does not contain harmful chemicals.
- Moisturise your skin: Dry skin is common in senior adults. While there may be several reasons for this — including certain medical conditions, it is always a good idea to keep your skin moisturised using a fragrance-free moisturiser. Keeping your skin well-hydrated helps to prevent cracking and itchiness.
- Avoid the sun during peak hours: It is a good idea to step out in the sun to get your dose of Vitamin D. However, avoid the sun during the time when sun rays are the strongest. When you step out, use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Apply it 15 to 30 minutes before going out and reapply every two hours. When going out in the sun, wear a hat that shields your face.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is not just bad for the lungs, it damages the skin in numerous ways. Smoking adversely affects the working of blood vessels which reduces blood flow and depletes the skin of nutrients and oxygen.
- Go easy on long baths: While hot baths can be relaxing, exposure to hot water for prolonged periods of time can make your skin dry. Instead, use lukewarm water and keep bath time short.
- Keep yourself hydrated and eat a fibre-rich diet : When your body is dehydrated, your skin also starts getting dry. And the chances of developing cracks on the skin increase. It is important to drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day. Also, make sure that your diet consists of fibre-rich foods. Fruits and vegetables rich in fibre and antioxidants help protect the skin from sun damage.
Want to read more about healthy ageing? Watch this space!
Relavent tags : Retirement home facilities | senior living in India
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore