Tips to Improve Sleep Hygiene from a Senior Citizen Home in Kanchipuram
May 18, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Not having sufficient sleep can put your body under stress, thus affecting your energy levels and your mental health. Seniors need 7-8 hours of sleep each night to feel rested and refreshed. Also, undisturbed night time sleep helps your body repair itself. However, as you age, you may experience changes in sleep patterns, such as trouble in sleeping, waking up earlier or experiencing less deep sleep. As a leading senior citizen home in Kanchipuram, we share with you a few tips to improve sleep hygiene and reset your internal clock:
- Do not take electronics to bed: Electronic devices emit blue light that affects the production and regulation of melatonin (the sleep regulation hormone produced by the body).
- Do not drink caffeinated drinks 4 hours before bedtime: Products containing caffeine such as tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate and soft drinks should be avoided at least 4 hours before bedtime. Caffeine is a stimulant that can keep you awake for hours.
- Avoid nicotine products: Just like caffeine, nicotine is also a stimulant and should be avoided before bedtime. Having a smoke before bed can wreak havoc on your sleep pattern.
- Heavy meals harm your sleep: While a light snack can be sleep-inducing, a heavy meal can interfere with your sleep patterns. Stay away from heavy meals before bedtime as it will tax your digestive system, thus making it difficult for your body to sleep.
- Do not exercise at night: Contrary to the popular belief that exercising before bedtime can help one feel asleep, late exercises impact the sleep cycle adversely. Exercising in the afternoon is good as it will give your body some time to get adjusted to its normal biological rhythm.
- Keep your bedroom ready for sleep: Ensure that your bedroom’s ambience supports a quiet night’s sleep. It should be neither too hot, nor too cold. Too much light and noise in your bedroom can disturb your sleep patterns. Before hitting the bed, it’s good to engage in activities such as meditation, yoga, reading, or listening to music – it will calm your mind and help you unwind.
Relavent tags : senior citizen home in Kanchipuram | senior citizen homes
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore