Tips to Improve Sleep Hygiene from a Senior Citizen Home in Kanchipuram
May 18, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
- Do not take electronics to bed: Electronic devices emit blue light that affects the production and regulation of melatonin (the sleep regulation hormone produced by the body).
- Do not drink caffeinated drinks 4 hours before bedtime: Products containing caffeine such as tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate and soft drinks should be avoided at least 4 hours before bedtime. Caffeine is a stimulant that can keep you awake for hours.
- Avoid nicotine products: Just like caffeine, nicotine is also a stimulant and should be avoided before bedtime. Having a smoke before bed can wreak havoc on your sleep pattern.
- Heavy meals harm your sleep: While a light snack can be sleep-inducing, a heavy meal can interfere with your sleep patterns. Stay away from heavy meals before bedtime as it will tax your digestive system, thus making it difficult for your body to sleep.
- Do not exercise at night: Contrary to the popular belief that exercising before bedtime can help one feel asleep, late exercises impact the sleep cycle adversely. Exercising in the afternoon is good as it will give your body some time to get adjusted to its normal biological rhythm.
- Keep your bedroom ready for sleep: Ensure that your bedroom’s ambience supports a quiet night’s sleep. It should be neither too hot, nor too cold. Too much light and noise in your bedroom can disturb your sleep patterns. Before hitting the bed, it’s good to engage in activities such as meditation, yoga, reading, or listening to music – it will calm your mind and help you unwind.
Senior’s guide to dental care: useful insights by premium retirement homes for NRIs
September 29, 2022
How to change your mindset about growing older?
September 28, 2022
New to working out? Here are some insights curated by one of the leading senior living communities for NRIs
September 27, 2022