Tips to Improve Sleep Hygiene from a Senior Citizen Home in Kanchipuram
May 18, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
- Do not take electronics to bed: Electronic devices emit blue light that affects the production and regulation of melatonin (the sleep regulation hormone produced by the body).
- Do not drink caffeinated drinks 4 hours before bedtime: Products containing caffeine such as tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate and soft drinks should be avoided at least 4 hours before bedtime. Caffeine is a stimulant that can keep you awake for hours.
- Avoid nicotine products: Just like caffeine, nicotine is also a stimulant and should be avoided before bedtime. Having a smoke before bed can wreak havoc on your sleep pattern.
- Heavy meals harm your sleep: While a light snack can be sleep-inducing, a heavy meal can interfere with your sleep patterns. Stay away from heavy meals before bedtime as it will tax your digestive system, thus making it difficult for your body to sleep.
- Do not exercise at night: Contrary to the popular belief that exercising before bedtime can help one feel asleep, late exercises impact the sleep cycle adversely. Exercising in the afternoon is good as it will give your body some time to get adjusted to its normal biological rhythm.
- Keep your bedroom ready for sleep: Ensure that your bedroom’s ambience supports a quiet night’s sleep. It should be neither too hot, nor too cold. Too much light and noise in your bedroom can disturb your sleep patterns. Before hitting the bed, it’s good to engage in activities such as meditation, yoga, reading, or listening to music – it will calm your mind and help you unwind.
FAQs on recreational facilities in senior living communities
December 4, 2023
Beach destinations near Bangalore: Useful list for seniors living in retirement homes in Bangalore
December 3, 2023
How luxury retirement homes in India are helping seniors use their time effectively?
December 2, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore