Useful Information for Seniors: Walking Mistakes You Didn’t Know You Were Making
June 8, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
- Wearing the wrong footwear: When it comes to avoiding injury, it is essential to wear the right walking shoes. Athletic sneakers that are supportive, feel good, and fit correctly are ideal for walking. Make sure that your walking shoes are lightweight, while still providing support and cushioning. Wearing inappropriate footwear can make your feet swell when you take a sustained walk.
- Not using your arms to your advantage: It is natural to move your arms while walking. But when you keep your arms stiff, they slow you down. Do not keep your arms still at your sides while walking. Rather let them swing naturally forward and back as you walk.
- Taking wide steps: When you walk faster, there is a natural tendency to reach out farther than your back foot. The longer steps may increase your walking speed but it is an ineffective walking technique that has the potential to lead to an injury. When you overstride in the long run, your shins may hurt. If you are trying to walk fast, taking shorter and quicker steps can be more helpful.
- Not maintaining a good posture: While walking if you are always looking down, hanging your head, or checking your mobile phone continuously, you may end up straining your neck and shoulders. This will make walking a less pleasant experience. While walking, make sure the shoulders are loose, arms are moving freely, the neck is in a neutral position and the chin is up so that you’re not straining.
- Walking through pain: If you are experiencing pain, it is best to skip your walks for a few days. Walking with pain can lead to soreness, discomfort, and even injury. If you are having trouble walking or experiencing pain that does not seem to go away, see a doctor before continuing your daily walks.
FAQs on recreational facilities in senior living communities
December 4, 2023
Beach destinations near Bangalore: Useful list for seniors living in retirement homes in Bangalore
December 3, 2023
How luxury retirement homes in India are helping seniors use their time effectively?
December 2, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore