Brain power food for seniors: useful insights by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
February 22, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
The brain is in charge of your body. Therefore, it is important to eat food that not only promotes your physical well-being but also improves your brain health. As one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore, we share a few useful insights on foods that are good for the brain:
- Walnuts: They are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and polyphenols that can counteract oxidative stress and inflammation, two drivers of cognitive decline.
- Spinach: Packed with antioxidants like vitamin A, lutein, and carotene, spinach, and other dark, leafy greens are good for brain health. Antioxidants help delay ageing-related brain decline and maintain cognitive functions.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium, iron, zinc, and copper – all these nutrients are essential for brain health. The antioxidants present in the pumpkin seeds protect the body and brain from free radical damage.
- Dark chocolate: Flavonoids, found in cocoa and chocolate, are considered to be good for the brain. A study showed that eating high-flavanol cocoa improved blood flow to the brain. Note: This holds true only for dark chocolates with a 70 percent or more cocoa content and not milk chocolate that contains only 10 to 15 percent cocoa.
- Blueberries: According to a study, blueberries can protect the brain from oxidative stress, prevent age-related neurodegenerative diseases, and improve motor and cognitive functions. Another study suggests that the neuroprotective properties of blueberries can improve memory in older adults at risk of dementia.
In addition to following a brain-healthy diet, it is important to lead a physically active lifestyle. Regular exercise stimulates the growth of new brain cells and helps in preventing age-related cognitive decline. At our retirement homes in Bangalore, you will find cafes serving delicious and nutritious meals and beverages to our residents. Our residents can jog in the well-maintained community garden or swim at our rooftop swimming pool or engage in a match of table tennis in the indoor games room. To know more about our senior homes in Bangalore, call us at +91 8884555554 or book a virtual tour.
Relavent tags : retirement homes in Bangalore | senior homes in Bangalore