Depression and sleep disorder: useful insights for seniors
February 25, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
A good night’s sleep is important for the physical and mental well-being of seniors. Though experts recommend eight hours of sleep at night, many seniors fail to get it. When not addressed timely, sleep problems can put seniors at risk of serious medical conditions, including diabetes and heart diseases.
Sleep disorder in seniors has also been associated with depression. Sleep deprivation affects mood and those suffering from depression often find it hard to sleep. It is a vicious cycle. As one of the leading senior living communities in India, we have curated useful insights on how sleep affects depression:
1. Poor quality sleep increases the risk of depression: A person’s mood heavily depends on how well he or she sleeps each night. While not getting sleep before some important events is natural, inadequate sleep that spans over weeks or months spells trouble for one’s mental well-being. It has been found that even mildly insufficient sleep is linked to an increased risk for depression and anxiety
2. Sleep apnea and depression: Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that causes one to stop breathing during sleep. It causes insomnia, fatigue, and headaches that can affect daily life. According to a study, untreated sleep apnea can cause people to suffer from depression. Depression and sleep apnea have similar symptoms such as:
- Too much sleepiness in the daytime
- Difficulty focusing
- Poor sleep quality
- Stick to a sleep routine: Going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time can help the body follow a schedule. Sticking to a schedule can help the body prepare itself for sleep. Here is an insightful read on improving sleep hygiene.
- Practise relaxation techniques: It can be difficult to sleep when the mind is not calm. Breathing exercises for relaxation, a warm bath, meditating, reading, and journaling positive thoughts are a great way to unwind before the end of the day. These activities help prepare the body for a restful night’s sleep.
3. Insomnia and sleep: According to a study, people with chronic insomnia are at an increased risk of developing anxiety disorders and depression.
Though the relationship between sleep and depression is quite complex, seniors can benefit from following a healthy lifestyle that includes good sleep habits. Here are some healthy lifestyle changes that can promote better mental well-being and good sleep:
Note: If seniors suspect that sleep disorder is causing anxiety or depression, they must consult a medical expert. If diagnosed with sleep disorder, treatment must be sought without delay.
As one of the premium retirement homes in India, our priority is the overall well-being of our residents. In addition to conducting regular health checkups, we offer our residents a myriad of opportunities to stay physically and socially active. Our social calendar includes a wide variety of activities such as yoga, aerobics, and dance classes that keep our residents physically active and mentally engaged in a productive and healthy way. To know about our retirement homes in India and services we offer, call us at +91 8884555554.
Principles of positive ageing: useful insights for senior citizens
October 1, 2022
5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
September 30, 2022
Senior’s guide to dental care: useful insights by premium retirement homes for NRIs
September 29, 2022