Easy Lifestyle Tweaks to Control Type 2 Diabetes Curated by One of the Leading Senior Citizen Homes in Coimbatore
September 1, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Diabetes is a progressive disease and keeping it in check is the best way to prevent or delay serious health complications such as neuropathy, glaucoma, and nephropathy. For seniors suffering from Type 2 diabetes, maintaining optimal blood glucose level should be a priority. According to WebMD, the target HBA1C level for diabetics is usually less than 7%.
As one of the leading senior citizen homes in Coimbatore, we share with you some easy lifestyle tweaks to control Type 2 Diabetes:
- Curb your cortisol levels: Cortisol is the hormone that is secreted when you are under chronic or acute stress. This can lead to high blood sugar. This is because when under stress, the body’s need for glucose increases. Cortisol is secreted as an ‘emergency response’ to trigger the release of glycogen, which is the body’s stored sugar.
- Eat fermented food often: Seniors who suffer from diabetes are at risk of developing high cholesterol. Consuming fermented foods such as yoghurt, cottage cheese, and kefir helps to decrease serum cholesterol levels. It has been found that the good bacterium in low-fat fermented dairy products reduces diabetes risk by 24 per cent.
- Fight back with good fats: Although fats have gained a bad reputation, good fats are essential for the body. Healthy fats such as those found in avocados, olives, nuts, and oily fish help stabilise blood sugar levels. To include healthy fats in your diet, use olive oil instead of butter. You can also add a handful of nuts to your salad or smoothie. Eat a yoghurt-based smoothie or add yoghurt to your breakfast cereal. However, be careful of the portions you are eating as, like all fats, these food items are high in calories.
- Buy a fitness tracker: A very important part of managing your diabetes is to exercise and eat right. Having a fitness tracker can help track the steps you are taking in a day and the calories you burn. While accurate feedback from a tracker is helpful for all fitness enthusiasts, it can be all the more beneficial for controlling diabetes.
Meditation and adding yoga to your daily routine can help you manage stress. Also, starting and ending your day with breathing exercises is a great way to reduce your stress levels. There are many 5 minutes to 10 minutes relaxation techniques that can be performed at any time of the day or whenever you feel stressed.
Note: According to a Cambridge University study, consuming good fats in a controlled manner can help lower the risk of getting diabetes.
At our retirement homes in Coimbatore, improving the health and well-being of the residents is our top priority
Residents of our senior living communities start the day with yoga and breathing exercises. There are jogging paths for those who love to run in the open. Also, fitness enthusiasts can exercise in a well-equipped gym. The meals served at our retirement homes are prepared keeping in mind the nutritional needs of seniors.
If you are looking for a retirement home for yourself or your loved ones and wish to know more about our services and facilities, call us at +91 8884555554.
How can seniors boost their confidence? Useful insights by one of the leading retirement homes in India
December 1, 2023
Interesting and vibrant destinations for seniors who love travelling
November 29, 2023
Useful insights on entrepreneurship for retired defence personnel
November 28, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore