Powerhouse Nutrients for a Healthy Heart: Useful Insights for Seniors
May 19, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Here is a list of nutrients that can help strengthen and protect your heart:
- Coenzyme Q10: In order to function properly, the heart needs a lot of energy. Coenzyme Q10, also known as CoQ10, helps to generate energy in your cells. Though the body produces the compound naturally, with age the production reduces. Vegetables such as spinach, cauliflower and broccoli are good sources of CoQ10. Also, include sesame seeds and pistachios in your daily diet. Organ meats such as heart, liver and kidney and fatty fish such as trout, sardine and herring are also rich in CoQ10.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Certain unsaturated fats such as omega-3 fatty acids are healthy for the heart. They have anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Omega-3 fatty acids are primarily found in tuna, salmon, trout and cod. Olive, soybean, canola, walnut and flaxseeds are also good sources of omega-3 fatty acids. As the body cannot make omega-3 fatty acids on its own, you must get them from your diet.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is essential for maintaining a healthy heartbeat. It relaxes the arteries, which lowers blood pressure and makes it easier for the heart to pump blood. To increase your magnesium intake, include pumpkin seeds, spinach, black beans, flaxseeds, almonds and cashews in your daily diet.
- Niacin: Also known as vitamin B3, Niacin is an important nutrient. Niacin deficiency can lead to memory loss, fatigue, depression, diarrhoea and skin problems. It lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol, thus making it ideal for cardiovascular health. Niacin is found in a variety of food including poultry, fish, nuts and legumes.
Curating playlists for relaxation: Tips by one of the best senior citizen homes in Chennai
February 2, 2024
Best fabrics for senior skin and comfort
February 1, 2024
Famous Plant Based South Indian Dishes: List Curated By One of The Leading Senior Retirement Homes in Chennai
January 31, 2024
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 4 Power Foods for Older Adults: List Curated By the Largest Senior Living Community Operator
- 4 Tips from a Senior Living Community for Mindful Self-care and Better Health
- 5 bad sleeping habits that are ruining your sleep: useful insights curated by one of the best senior citizen homes in Bangalore
- 5 Important Insights on Antioxidants: Curated by a Leading Senior Citizen Housing in India
- 5 Myths Around Senior Nutrition Curated by a Senior Living Home in Bangalore