Seeds and their health benefits for seniors: insights curated by one of the premium retirement Homes in Bangalore
May 10, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Seeds contain different types of protective and beneficial compounds, including anti-inflammatory vitamin E and monounsaturated fats. Therefore it is important for seniors to include seeds in their daily diet. As one of the premium retirement homes in Bangalore, we have curated a list of nutrient-rich seeds that are loaded with dietary fibre, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Chia seeds: Rich in fibre and protein, chia seeds are good for seniors who are diabetic or pre-diabetic. It has been found that fibre in chia seeds may help prevent blood sugar spikes. Rich in calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium – chia seeds also promote bone health.
- Pumpkin seeds: Roasted pumpkin seeds are a popular snack. Low in calories and high in protein and fibre, pumpkin seeds promote prostate health and offer anti-inflammatory benefits. Also, pumpkin seeds are rich in phytosterols that help in lowering blood cholesterol.
- Sunflower seeds: Harvested from the flower head of the sunflower plant, sunflower seeds have a distinct nutty flavour and high nutritional value. It has been found that regular consumption of seeds including sunflower seeds can help lower risk of cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. Sunflower seeds are also good for the immune system as they are rich in zinc – a mineral that plays an important role in helping the body develop innate as well as adaptive immunity.
- Flaxseed: Crisp and crunchy, flaxseeds can enhance the taste of almost any recipe. Rich in fibre, flaxseed is also great for digestive health. As flaxseed is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, it promotes heart and brain health.
- Eat them as it is as evening snacks
- Sprinkle seeds on top of your salad
- Add it to your cereal, oatmeal, or smoothie
How to include seeds in your daily diet?
Senior living community in Bangalore
If you are considering moving into a senior living community in Bangalore, check our premium retirement home in Bangalore . The retirement community will have trained chefs offering you nourishing home-style meals, cooked in a hygienic environment. Not just that, our senior living community will also have a yoga and aerobics deck, gym, and swimming pool offering ample opportunities for you to stay physically active. To know more about amenities and services, call us at +91 8884555554 or book a virtual tour.
How to make kindness a habit?
May 25, 2022
How can seniors lift their spirits when they are feeling stuck? Check these useful insights by one of the premium retirement homes for NRIs
May 24, 2022
Gut-friendly recipes for seniors curated by one of the best gated community villas in Coimbatore
May 22, 2022