Sunglasses and senior eye health: useful insights by one of the leading senior retirement homes in Chennai
February 28, 2022
Categories : Senior Health Tips
When it comes to protection from the sun’s harmful Ultraviolet (UV) rays, most seniors are quick to grab a hat and a sunscreen lotion. However, they often forget about sunglasses. Most people choose a pair of sunglasses based on how great they look on them. However, in addition to being a fashion accessory, sunglasses protect the eyes from the UV rays.
As one of the leading senior retirement homes in Chennai, we share a few useful insights on sunglasses and senior eye health:
- Why is sun protection important? When the eyes are unprotected and exposed to UV radiation, seniors are at a risk of developing photokeratitis, known as the “sunburn of the eye.” In some cases, photokeratitis can be painful and cause a gritty feeling in the eyes, extreme sensitivity to light, and excessive tearing. Long-term exposure to UV radiation without proper protection can increase the risk of eye diseases such as cataract, macular degeneration, and even eye cancer.
- Sunglasses can block UV radiation: Wear sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of both UVA and UVB radiation. UVA has a longer wavelength and is linked with skin ageing. UVB has a shorter wavelength and is linked with skin burning. When it comes to sunglasses, there are many kinds of options, and it can be quite overwhelming for seniors to know which one to choose. Asking an optometrist for advice is the best way seniors can choose the right sunglasses.
- The frame of the sunglasses matter: Most people go for a pair of sunglasses that look good on them. But for maximum sun protection, the frame of the sunglasses should be such that they fit close to the eyes and prevent exposure to UV rays from all sides.
- Opt for anti-glare sunglasses: Anti-glare sunglasses not only offer protection from the sun but also make driving and spending time on beaches safer.
- Wear sunglasses along with UV contact lenses: Certain contact lenses come with UV-absorbing properties. However, sunglasses are still recommended for maximum protection.
Looking for retirement homes in Chennai, India?
Living in one of our senior retirement homes in Chennai lets our residents enjoy a worry-free lifestyle. At our retirement homes in Chennai, we have a well-experienced team of in-house staff to take care of housekeeping, laundry, and preventive maintenance for electrical and plumbing work. The F&B team ensures that the food served is hygienically prepared and as per the nutritional needs of our residents. To know more about our retirement homes in Chennai, call us at +91 8884555554.