What are Good Stretching Exercises for Seniors?
December 10, 2021
Categories : Senior Health Tips
Stretching exercises offer a host of benefits: they help loosen stiff joints, improve flexibility and bone health, and increases blood circulation. Here we share with you a few stretching exercises for seniors that will improve their muscle strength and flexibility.
1. Neck side stretch:
It loosens tension in both your shoulders and neck. Tight neck muscles usually occur from sleeping in the wrong position, sitting for longer period, and looking at smartphones or any other object for long periods.
- Gently lean your head to the right and then left to warm up your neck.
- Now lift your right arm up, over your head, and rest your right palm on the left side.
- Pull your head to the right side gently.
- Hold the position for 20-30 seconds and repeat the exercise on the left side.
2. Shoulder and upper back stretch:
Seniors often complain about shoulder and upper back pain. If not addressed immediately, it can worsen and make it harder for seniors to stand straight. Shoulder and upper back stretch help in loosening stiff muscles and improves spinal flexibility.
- Stand tall and keep your arms by your side.
- Now, pull both your hands behind you and clasp your fingers.
- Stretch your hands away from your lower back. When you feel the stretch, hold the position for 20-30 seconds and then come back to the starting position. Repeat again.
3. Tricep Stretch:
This stretching exercise improves flexibility of your upper back and arms. Seniors can do this exercise in sitting as well as standing position:
- Stand tall or sit in a chair.
- Lift your hand over your head, bending it at the elbow. Now, move your other hand towards the elbow and gently pull it towards your hand.
- Hold it for 20-30 seconds and repeat with the other hand.
- Always keep your back straight and tighten your abdominal muscles while doing this exercise.
Here are a few guidelines seniors should follow before starting a new exercise regimen:
- Before starting a new exercise regimen, ask your doctor.
- Do warmup exercises to avoid muscle injuries.
- Do not force your body to stretch more.
- Breathe slowly. Do not hold your breath while exercising.
- Start slow. Do not overdo it.
Senior Living in Bangalore: Explore our retirement communities
The Virtuoso, India’s first independent senior living community designed to international standards, will have a clubhouse with indoor games , fitness centre, medical and wellness centre, rubberised jogging path, gym, and a swimming pool. The rooftop facilities will include a yoga deck, garden, and community planting patch. With easy access to all these amenities, residents can find new ways to stay active everyday.
Call us at +91 8884555554 to know more about our independent senior living apartments, monthly maintenance fees, facilities, and services offered.