Five Awesome Benefits of Reading: Curated by a Leading Retirement Home in Bangalore
August 31, 2021
Categories : Senior Living Tips
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
– Walt Disney
Reading is fun. Reading a book not only transports the reader to an imaginary world, but it also offers an abundance of health benefits. Just like going for a jog boosts the cardiovascular system, reading can improve memory by giving your brain a workout. It has been found that creating a bedtime routine, like reading before bed, can improve the quality of sleep and improve overall health.
As one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore, we share with you 5 awesome benefits of reading for seniors:
- Alleviates stress: There are many ways to relax, but few are as immersive as reading. Reading is attributed to relieving stress. A 2009 study found that reading for just six minutes can reduce the stress levels by up to 68%.
- Promotes better sleep: Reading is a better way of falling asleep than watching a TV show, which has been proven to keep people awake longer.
- Reading improves memory: Since reading is a more neurologically challenging task than other activities, it makes the brain work harder. For example, reading a novel requires one to keep track of characters, plots, and scenarios which means the brain is working harder to focus and remember different details.
- Protects cognitive health: Reading is a brain-challenging activity. It has been found that mental activities, including reading, may lower the risk of dementia in late life.
- Makes people happy: The more people read, the happier they may feel. People who regularly read are more satisfied with their lives. Despite being a solitary activity, reading improves empathy and helps people understand social situations better.
At the well-stocked libraries at our retirement homes, residents can read in peace. Our libraries have computers as well as internet access for those who love reading eBooks. To know more about our retirement communities in Bangalore and other cities, call us at +91 8884555554.