Here is How Seniors Can Live an Eco-Friendly Lifestyle
October 3, 2021
Categories : Senior Living Tips
Whether it is starting a community garden or using reusable items, there is a lot that you can do to reduce your carbon footprint. Adopting an eco-friendly lifestyle has numerous personal and social benefits.
As a leading senior living community operator, we share with you some ideas that will help you get started:
- Eat food that is produced locally: Eating local food is good for your health as well as the environment. Seasonal fruits and vegetables do not require artificial ripening, making them a better option for your health and environment. Also, eating locally produced fruits and vegetables reduces food miles. The term ‘food miles’ refers to the distance between the place where the food is produced and the place where it is consumed. The more the food miles, the greater the carbon emissions due to storage, refrigeration, and transportation.
- Walk to run errands: When running short-distance errands, do not drive your car. Instead, walk your errands. It is good for the environment as well as your physical health. However, make sure that you do not overexert yourself.
- Reduce wastage: When buying fruits and vegetables, carry your own shopping bag to reduce the consumption of plastic.
- Buy sustainable products: Instead of buying products made of plastic, buy products in reusable steel bottles, bamboo straws, glass storage containers. Use reusable dishcloths instead of paper towels.
- Up your recycling game: Before throwing away things, ask yourself if they can be reused or recycled. Instead of throwing away old clothes and shoes, donate them to local charities. Send old electronic items to electronic shops that have recycling facilities.
- Adopt a paper-free lifestyle: Take printouts only when needed. Try paying bills online. Access bills and bank statements online. In case you need to file, either download it on your phone or take a screenshot of it.
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use: Though it seems like the most basic advice, leaving your electrical appliances on standby can increase your electricity consumption. Unplug electrical devices when not in use. Also, insulate your home so that you can reduce your energy consumption on heating and cooling.
- Encourage composting: Composting is an easy process that takes plant and kitchen waste and turns them into food for plants. This reduces the amount of waste that ends up in a landfill.
- Start a small garden: Start with a small garden, this way you can have home-grown vegetables and flowers. You can also make compost for them at home.
- Use eco-friendly personal care products: Cleansers, conditioners, soaps, and other personal care products contain various chemicals that are washed down the drain and end up in groundwater. Use eco-friendly products that do not contain toxic chemicals that are harmful to the environment.
- Use water efficiently: Use highly efficient taps in the bathrooms and kitchens to reduce water waste. You can also use flow restrictors. Also, be mindful of turning off the tap water while shaving or brushing your teeth.
Seniors are paying more attention to green practices. This includes searching for senior living communities promoting an eco-friendly lifestyle. For example, they prefer moving to retirement homes that have battery-operated cars for residents to travel easily within the community.
Are you considering moving to a senior living community?
As India’s leading senior living community operator, we offer premium community living spaces for independent seniors. Our retirement homes have senior-friendly villas, apartments, and row houses across south India. To know more about our senior citizen homes and the services that we offer, call us at +91 8884555554.