The 5 Essential Exercises for Seniors: Curated by One of the Best Senior Citizen Homes in Chennai
June 5, 2021
Categories : Senior Living Tips
Exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle throughout your life, and as you age, you must stay as active as possible, without overexerting yourself. Though physical fitness offers benefits at any age, the health perks of being physically fit as you are ageing are notable – reduced risk of falls, improved bone density, enhanced well-being, and social engagement. As one of the leading retirement homes in Chennai, we share some of the best forms of exercise that are beneficial for seniors:
- Walking: Walking is one of the easiest and most effective forms of exercise out there for seniors. Whatever your level of mobility, you can walk at your own pace. Walking has been associated with many health benefits, such as lower rates of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Walking for just 30 minutes a day for a few days a week is a great way to maintain your overall health. Walking should be brisk and a bit challenging. Start at a slow, easy pace and then speed up and then again slow down.
- Running: Running is a great exercise for seniors. It helps you improve your cardiovascular system, stay in good shape and maintain a healthy weight. However, you must tailor it as per your body’s abilities. Stretching before running is important as it reduces the chances of injury. To avoid overexerting yourself, do not run too fast. Build your endurance over a period of time. If you are new to running, run for only 10 minutes. After some time, try running for longer. Always make sure you are running in proper shoes. If you find running on a treadmill too monotonous, head outdoors for a change of scenery.
- Yoga: Incorporating yoga into your daily routine is great to manage the aches and pains that come with ageing. With proper yoga routines, you can improve your flexibility, balance and muscular strength, and endurance. There are different types of yoga positions that you can select as per your mobility. Different yoga postures focus on different parts of the body. Standing postures build the strength of the legs and core flexibility of the lower body. To gain flexibility, do not stick to just one routine.
- Squat: When done properly, squats are one of the most effective exercises for toning the legs. Besides improved knee stability, performing squats can also result in an improvement in upper body strength. If you have knee or joint problems, work out with a trained professional who can guide you to vary the depth of the squat.
Relavent tags : retirement homes in Chennai | serene senior citizen homes Chennai
Tips for planning a safe and comfortable camping trip for seniors in India: useful insights by one of the leading retirement communities in India
May 29, 2023
How to use gratitude to cope with grief and loss in later life? Tips by one of the leading retirement homes in Bangalore
May 28, 2023
Best travel destinations in India for seniors who love adventure : check the list by one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore
May 27, 2023
- Activities For Seniors Citizens
- Ageing Tips
- Average cost of retirement home per month
- Birthday parties at retirement homes
- 15 Meaningful Things to Do After Retirement
- 5 common fears that elderly people face
- 5 Must-Read Travel Books for Seniors
- 6 Awesome Travel Videos That Seniors Who Love Travelling Must Watch
- 6 books to enjoy with your grandkids: check the list curated by one of the leading senior citizen homes in Bangalore