How to Make Friends After Retirement and Why is it Important? Insights by a Leading Retirement Home in Coimbatore
August 26, 2021
Categories : Senior Living Tips
Retirement is something to look forward to, not something to dread about. When you retire, you have the time and opportunity to discover new things in life. However, it would be much better to have friends along with you on this new journey. A study suggests that having friends has positive effects on both mental and physical health and is positively associated with life satisfaction. However, many seniors find it difficult to make friends after retirement.
As a leading retirement home in Coimbatore, we have curated a few tips that you may find helpful in making new friends:
- Look around yourself: You are never too old to make new friends. Look around yourself and find like-minded people living closest to you. You can invite your newly moved neighbours over dinner or go out for a cup of coffee with them. Do not be afraid to approach people.
- Join a gym or a hobby club: Taking up a new hobby, joining a yoga class or a language club are great opportunities to make new friends. Many senior citizens join these classes or attend these meetings in the hope to make new friends in the community.
- Volunteer for a cause: If you are volunteering or spreading awareness for a shared purpose, you will find people with a similar mindset. This can help you establish meaningful connections. From volunteering a few hours each week at the local charity to assisting community projects, there are many ways to make a difference in the world. You can search for volunteering opportunities online and offline.
- Reconnect with old ones: Reconnect with old friends whom you do not see on a regular basis, but enjoy their company. Call them up or plan for a meet-up.
- Lowers the feeling of social isolation: Social isolation refers to the absence of social relationships. According to a study, loneliness can affect a senior’s mental and physical well-being.
- Reduces stress: Everyone faces stress from time to time. However, in the company of good friends you can cope with stress. Also, a strong social support network improves your ability to cope with stress and helps in promoting good mental health.
- Emotional support: Your friends play a significant role in promoting emotional well-being and increases your sense of belonging. They can boost your mood when you are sad or help you cope with a difficult situation just by listening to your problems.
Why is friendship important?
At our retirement homes in Coimbatore, days are bustling with activities that help our residents meet like-minded people. From yoga classes and dance classes to spiritual workshops – there are ample opportunities to make new friends. If you are planning to move into a retirement home in Coimbatore, give us a call at +91 8884555554.
How to make kindness a habit?
May 25, 2022
How can seniors lift their spirits when they are feeling stuck? Check these useful insights by one of the premium retirement homes for NRIs
May 24, 2022
Gut-friendly recipes for seniors curated by one of the best gated community villas in Coimbatore
May 22, 2022