Senior-friendly kitchen: check these tips by a senior living community in Bangalore
February 14, 2022
Categories : Senior Living Tips
For seniors who love cooking and spending time in the kitchen, here is a useful read on making the space more accessible and senior friendly. As one of the leading senior living communities in Bangalore, we have curated a list of simple and easy ways to transform a kitchen into a comfortable and safe space for seniors.
1. Fire safety: Kitchen fire is among the leading causes of home fires and, therefore, it is important to take steps to minimise the risk. Here are some fire safety measures:
- Keep the cooktop away from flammable items such as oil, dish towels, curtains and plastic utensils
- Seniors should not wear loose clothes while cooking
- Smoke alarms should be installed and maintained in the kitchen
- Exhaust fans and vents must be regularly checked and cleaned
- Senior-friendly fire extinguishers should be placed in easily accessible locations
- Buy senior-friendly appliances that come with built-in alarm systems.
- Ensure adequate lighting in the kitchen
- Add non-slip mats near the sink
- Seniors should wear shoes with non-slip soles while working in the kitchen
- Spills must be wiped as quickly as possible
- Leaky taps or appliances must be fixed
- Install grab bars at different places in the kitchen
- Ensure countertops are not cluttered
- Knives and other sharp objects must be stored carefully
- Frequently used tools, ingredients, and appliances should be easily accessible
- Use low storage spaces to keep important items
- Make sure that the pantry handles open easily
- Label everything
2. Fall prevention: Falls are among the leading causes of injuries in seniors. They can result in minor scrapes to hip fractures. Here are a few ways to prevent falls in the kitchen:
3. Organise and declutter the kitchen: The more organised the kitchen is, the safer it is for seniors to use.
Senior living in Bangalore: Check our independent senior living apartments
At our senior living communities in Bangalore, we offer services and amenities designed to help seniors enjoy their golden years comfortably and safely. To know more about our retirement homes, call us at +91 88845 55554.
What is healthy selfishness and how can seniors cultivate it? Useful insights by one of the best-gated community villas in Coimbatore
January 26, 2023
How seniors can ring in the New Year with healthy dishes: recipes curated by premium retirement homes in Bangalore
January 25, 2023
How seniors can keep their spirits up when holidays end: useful insights by one of the best retirement homes in Bangalore
January 24, 2023