Preparing for Life After Retirement? These 5 Books Can Help Seniors Find Meaning and Purpose
August 7, 2021
Categories : Retirement Planning Tips
While you are working, professional life and its perks keep you motivated to get out of bed in the morning. Meeting people every day and getting recognised for a job well done keeps you happy and motivated. However, after retirement, many people need meaning to fill that void – and reading is one of the many interesting ways to find meaning after retirement.
As one of the leading retirement homes in Coimbatore, we have curated a list of 5 books that can help seniors find meaning and purpose after retirement:
- The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama: When it comes to positive psychology and finding purpose in life, this book is the ultimate guide. The Dalai Lama says that everyone has the same goal in life – that is to seek happiness. The book presents happiness as an attainable goal. Interestingly, in the book, he talks about sustainable happiness that can be developed and trained by the mind. From everyday insecurities to stress, from relationships to pursuit of wealth, the Dalai Lama in this book has explored different aspects of life. The book uses Tibetan Buddhist principles with an aim to help readers gain balance and spiritual freedom.
- You Learn by Living by Eleanor Roosevelt: If you are looking for a philosophy on living with compassion, confidence, and maturity, grab this book. The former First Lady of the US penned this book to live a meaningful life at 76. The book encourages people to not just learn about themselves but also their fellow human beings and the world. A fulfilled person, the book says, must be curious to find new interests. There is a lot of emphasis on the importance of volunteer work in the book.
- IKIGAI by Héctor García and Francesc Miralles: According to Japanese philosophy, one needs to find their ikigai to lead a fulfilling life. Ikigai, the reason of being, serves as a motivation for people of all ages to find the right balance among their passion, vocation, and spiritual life. A best-seller, this book shows you how to find your purpose, nurture friendships, and find your passions — all at once.
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma: The literary masterpiece is all about finding a sense of fulfilment and satisfaction through introspection and self-discovery. Through the book’s protagonist’s journey to become a monk, the writer explains how a person can explore a vibrant life and make acquaintance with his conscience without monetary means.
- Karma Yoga by Swami Vivekananda: This is among the most engaging and intellectually stimulating books written by Swami Vivekananda. The book offers an interesting approach that people have a right to work, but don’t have a right to the results of their actions. This approach, the book says, saves people from a lot of misery and makes them more spiritually enlightened. The book offers a pragmatic approach towards leading a fulfilling life without renouncing it but rather by embracing it without expectations.
At our senior citizen homes in Coimbatore, we have well-stocked libraries with computer and internet access. Our residents can read e-books or grab a copy of their favourite books and enjoy a calm and relaxing ambience. To find out more about our retirement homes, call us at +91 8884555554.